Monday, January 11, 2010

2010 snuck up on me

Today it finally hit me that it's actually 2010. Between flying back to Asheville for New Year's, getting caught up on a few big projects at work, and battling a monster cold, somehow the New Year sort of slipped past me this year.

I don't really like to make resolutions, but the beginning of a new year always seems like a good time to step back for a minute, take a breath, and reflect a bit on where I was a year ago and where I see myself a year from now.

2009 was chock full. I had practice, meetings, parties, bouts, commitments, work, more practice... It was lots of fun, but now that I've retired from roller derby, I'm looking forward to having a bit more breathing room.

When I get busy, busy, busy the projects seem to pile up. Hopefully 2010 is the year of finishing things! Here's a few projects I'd like to finally finish up:
*My first sweater!
*My t-shirt quilt
*Apple curtains for the basement, hem dining room curtains while I'm at it
*Curtains for the open shelving in my kitchen and bathroom
*Spice shelf
*Caulking the molding in the basement and complete the finishing work
*Chalkboard wall!
*Paint the bathroom and living room
*Decorate the bedroom
*Stencil the basement floor
*Weave my first scarf (it's 1/3 of the way done!)
*Embroider tea towels
*Kill the grass!!!! Maybe create a patio in the back?
*Mosaic the basement steps
*Grout my coffee tables and cupcake mosaic
*Finish making the switch from Napster to Rhapsody on my MP3 player
*The Bus's cat door (with Punchkin and Mr. Punchkin's help, I couldn't do it without them!)
*Hang up my pink zombie sword with heart hooks. Oh yes, there will be photos.

I'm sure I'll add more projects as I remember them.

In order to get all this done and cram some travel time and adventures into 2010, I'm looking at where I can cut back and simplify things.

I'm seriously considering putting my etsy store on hiatus and taking a break from glitter for a year. I still like sparkles, but I think it'd be interesting to see where else I end up with out my old glittery fall back. Plus, constantly feeling like I ought to be doing more-- painting more, posting more, taking better photos, starting a web site, marketing my work, etc. etc. etc.-- has been exhausting quite a bit of my mental bandwith. I want to give it a break. No roller derby AND no glitter painting?! What next?

My next big project is to destash the studio and reorganize the basement. Then it's full speed ahead with that to-do list!

What do you have planned for 2010?

No comments:

Post a Comment