Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My heart says yes, but my knees say no...

Ok, I've been putting off this blog post for over a week now. Time to bite the bullet.
I don't know why saying it on my blog is harder than posting on Facebook or Twitter, it seems more official somehow. This is almost as hard as telling my team.

I've retired from GnR.

I'll still be involved with the team in some capacity, because I'm GnR for life, but I'm not on the skating roster anymore. My knees can't take it. My MCL is actually feeling a little better and I can fully straighten out my right leg for the first time in 5 months, thanks to a cortisone shot. But my physical therapist and my doctor have advised me that injuring my knee again would be a seriously bad idea, like the kind of bad idea that involves surgery and screws and cadaver tissue and never skating again. So I'm throwing in the towel.

I'm still coaching Rosebuds.

And I'm working on a list of things I can do now that I don't have practice 3 times a week. Here's what I've got so far:
Knit more/go to local knit nights
Teach an art class?
Learn to play my drums
Update my etsy shop.
Travel more
Volunteer at the Oregon Humane Society
Paint
Write a book about glitter

So my life won't be totally empty and meaningless, but it's still kinda heartbreaking. I'm trying to stay positive. xoxo Cherry Lipsmacker.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea.... so sorry to hear that darling.... but.. remember you will always be alumni like the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete