Saturday, November 27, 2010

Beefy Stew

I've been really into gardein products lately. Last week I used the "chicken" cutlets to make chicken-free Parmesan with pasta, a chik pizza melt sandwich, and I tried the recipe on the back of the package, and they were all very tasty.

This week I'm trying out the beefless tips. First up was a vegan version of my mom's beef stew. My family always broke out the Christmas dishes, decorated the tree, and put up the lights the weekend after Thanksgiving. I'm a sucker for traditions, so I put up my own mini-tree this weekend and some lights on the back porch. When I'm missing my family, vegan-izing Mom's recipes always makes me feel a little closer to home. The beefless tips were the perfect substitute for beef chunks.


Ingredients:
1 package gardein beefless tips
1 Tbsp flour
2 potatoes, cubed
2 carrots, chopped
2 tsp Lawry's season salt
1 tsp onion flakes
pepper to taste
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 can vegetable broth

Boil carrots and potatoes until soft. In another pit, brown the beefless tips in olive oil. Season with season salt, onion flakes, and pepper. Once the tips are nice and brown, add the flour and stir everything around until the tips are completely coated. Slowly add veggie broth, stirring constantly to make a gravy. Add boiled carrots and potatoes. Simmer until thick and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment