Tuesday, April 14, 2009

navel gazing

I usually listen to Splendid Table on my way home from practice on Sundays, and I get home before Speaking of Faith comes on. But on Easter I went to endurance from 6-7 instead of 5-6, so I missed Splendid Table. Speaking of Faith isn't usually my kind of radio program, I'm not a very religious person, but since it was Easter, I decided to give it a listen. Vigen Guroian was on, and he was talking about gardening and experiencing God through all your senses, and he seemed like a pretty nice guy.

He also said something that kind of struck a chord with me. I'm probably botching this up, but the gist of it was that he was using the metaphor of a song to represent creation. "God" (or whatever higher power you happen to believe in) wrote the music and the first few verses (like in the Garden of Eden), but each of us adds to the lyrics as we live our lives, and we're all contributing to the same song. Isn't that kind of a cool idea?

When I was growing up, I really wanted to be the girl that Joe Queer was singing about in Punk Rock Girls. I chewed a lot of bubble gum, and I did wear Converse ALL THE TIME, but I was always too shy and too afraid of being grounded to *really* be a Punk Rock Girl. But now, using Vigen's logic, instead of trying to be someone else- some fictional punk girl in a made up song- I can just be me, and the girl in the song will be as nice or cool or tough or "punk rock" as I am in my day to day life. Whoa. Deep, huh? I wish 15 year old me had heard of Vigen Guroian.

No comments:

Post a Comment