Monday, April 27, 2009

The Bins of Vancouver...

Ever since I've moved to Portland, I've heard people talking about this mystical place called The Bins. Locals described a magical store where you pay for your items by the pound and wrestle with plastic-glove-wearing women (who are speaking to each other in Russian)to see who gets to take home prized goods. I had never been to The Bins...until today.

I ventured out to the Goodwill outlet store in Vancouver with some co-workers on our lunch break today. I was especially excited because rumor has it that the bins in Vancouver are even better than the Portland store because their less picked over. When we walked in, I was stunned. I don't know what I expected but the cavernous warehouse space filled with row after row of bins of random stuff was overwhelming-so overwhelming that it took me awhile to get acclimated. I just wandered up and down the rows while my seasoned co-workers dug out amazing treasures like ottomans and croquet sets! Eventually, my eyes started zeroing in on anything that was leopard or zebra print, and I started scooping up everything a GnR could possibly wear. I quickly realized I could have filled 5 shopping carts with everything that was GnR appropriate so I put it all back except a leopard print horse finger puppet and a zebra print dress. By the end of our adventure, I managed to score:

1. The aforementioned finger puppet. He is coming with me to our team meeting today.
2. A stretchy velour zebra print dress. If it doesn't fit me, I think it will fit Punchkin.
3. A sweater and a blue lacy blouse for work. Actually my co-worker found these but gave them to me because they wouldn't fit her.
4. Dolly Parton's biography (or autobiography?)
5. A blue raincoat with hearts on the lining
6. A book about canning and freezing (I'm optimistically hoping I'll need it for all the fruits and veggies I'll grow this summer!)
7. Glitter Fun in the Artic!!! There is a whole series of books about glittery animals in the wild. I'm now on a mission to collect all 6!

My grand total was a little over $6. All in all, I think it was a successful first trip.

4 comments:

  1. swweeettt! can you post the address?? I live in the couve now and will have to venture out to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep!

    Vancouver Outlet
    9025 NE 117th Ave.
    Vancouver, WA 98662

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Vancouver bins. I go there all of the time after work. It's crazy when they put out a new bin and everyone swarms around it.

    ReplyDelete