Thursday, February 5, 2009

2 recipes in 2 days

Another recipe already? Usually I go weeks without posting a recipe, but I can't stop thinking about peanut butter balls and feel compelled to share.

B and I have been on a waffle kick since he got me a Belgian waffle maker for my birthday. It doesn't seem like the most romantic gift, but I really really wanted a waffle maker after I went to Jace Gace and figured out you can pretty much top a waffle with ANYTHING YOU WANT, and it will be delicious.

Last night, I was curled up in bed, half asleep, when B busted in proclaiming that he has just created the most delicious waffle ever made. He topped a warm waffle with creamy peanut butter, powdered sugar, and maple syrup. He gave me a bite, which I accepted in my sleepy state, and I had to admit it was pretty darn good. I did wake up with my pillowcase stuck to my cheek and smelling of syrup this morning, but I think maybe it was worth it. Personally, I'm not sure it's as good as the Primanti Brothers' waffle, but it was good.

It actually gave me flashbacks to first grade when my teacher, Mrs. Daniels taught us how to make peanut butter balls at school.
We mixed 1 cup of peanut butter with several cups of powdered sugar until it formed a dough. Then we put more powdered sugar on a plate and used our germy little hands to roll the dough into balls. Refrigerate them until the set up, and they're done!

I've seen fancier recipes for peanut butter balls on the internet, people apparently add rice krispies or powdered milk and dip them in chocolate and honey, but I prefer the simple first grade version. They remind me of reading Ramona Quimby, memorizing poems to recite in front of the class, and playing with Cabbage Patch Kids in the driveway. Only now I'd wash my hands before rolling them up into little balls.

Oh! What if you made the balls, and then put them on top of a traditional waffle with margarine and syrup so that they'd get all melty on the bottom, but still be cool and firm on top? Now that might make a good waffle...

No comments:

Post a Comment