Monday, January 26, 2009

I bouted!

Yay!!!
As I mentioned last week, I've been playing roller derby since October 2006, but I'd never bouted...until Saturday night. Yep, after over 2 years of sweat, tears, and bruises, I did it! It's all kind of a blur now, but I know I skated twice in the front of the pack with GMT and Smack Ya against the Heathers. I remember hitting Tequkillya. I remember the floor looked bluer than it does at the hangar. And I remember hearing Rocko call my name over the loudspeaker. It was an amazing feeling. And I have my team mates and Drillmaster to thank. We may not have beat the Heathers this time, but it was a huge personal victory for me.

To celebrate, B and I visited the Edgefield winery and hotel yesterday. In July 2007 when I was drafted to GnR, I also planned a fundraiser for the league and the Sherie Hildreth Ovarian Cancer Society called Derby Days. We BBQ'ed, skated, arm wrestled, and played full contact musical chairs. There was a dunk tank. It was a big success. As a thank you, Mean gave me a bottle of McMenamin's Red Rabbit wine, and I decided I was going to save it until I bouted and drink it then to celebrate. It was a good plan, but at my apple party this year, I accidentally opened it and we drank it at the party. Oops!!So B and I went to the winery to get a glass.

It was fun. The Edgefield is supposed to be haunted, but we didn't see any ghosts. We did play shuffleboard, and B kicked my butt.


So for those keeping score, B is in first place for shuffleboard, and GnR is in 2nd place for roller derby. Quite a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment