Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I took the night off.

Lately I feel like my days and evenings are full of activities I "should" or "have" to do. I "should" do my physical therapy or go to the gym. I "have" to go to endurance practice and Rosebuds meetings. I really "should" do the laundry, unload the dishwasher, sweep the kitchen, and cook something for lunch tomorrow that uses up the veggies from the CSA before they go bad. I try to mentally reframe these activites as choices I'm making, things I really do want to do because when it comes down to it, I do enjoy roller derby, I can't play derby if I don't do my physical therapy, I do want my knees to work when I'm 75, and I generally like cooking and it makes me feel good to use veggies grown locally. But I just feel tired of being so darn responsible.

So last night I blew it all off. I was responsible enough to do my physical therapy, but I rode my bike outside on the bike trail instead of going to the gym, then I came home, made pasta with pesto and NO veggies for dinner, baked cookies instead of today's lunch, and knit and ate warm, fresh cookies with homemade chocolate chip ice cream and watched House, took a bath, and went to bed. And this morning I felt 200% less stressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment