Monday, November 15, 2010

Pesto Kick

While I was rummaging through the cupboard looking for the pecans, I found a bag of pistachios still in their shells. I was going to give them to the squirrels, but then I remembered a recipe I saw in Splendid Table's e-news last week (or was it the week before?). It was pistachio pesto, and since I'm currently on a pesto kick... I googled pistachio pesto and came up with this recipe on relishmag.com. The only substitution I made this time was to use nutritional yeast instead of cheese. I wasn't sure what the article meant it when it said this pesto was "lighter and brighter", but after I tasted it, brighter really seemed like the best way to explain the difference between the pistachio pesto and the classic pine nut pesto.

I like to make pesto in big batches and freeze it in my heart shaped ice cube trays. Once they're frozen, I pop them out and put them in baggies and store them in the freezer. That way I always have pesto on hand when the mood strikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment