Monday, January 19, 2009

I want to quit the gym!

I love Friends. I've seen every episode. I've taken a quiz and found out I would be Monica. But lately, I've been relating more to Chandler.

Specifically Chandler in this episode. The one where he wants to quit the gym.


I don't like gyms very much. They are sweaty, smelly places. I feel like everyone is looking at me. They make my muscles hurt, there's never anything good on the t.v., and I get bored biking in place.

But I go because I need strong muscles to play roller derby and if I don't do stretches and cardio for my IT bands then I'm in so much pain it hurts to just sit at my desk or drive. So the gym has become part of my regular routine.

I felt pretty good about 24 hour fitness when I joined last year. It was the cheapest, it was close to my work, and it had a Pilates teacher I liked. But my affection for 24 hour fitness was fleeting. Bally's has a waterfall. And a rock climbing wall. And not one, but 3 pools. And right now they're running this really good deal with the Discovery channel where you get 3 months free and after your first year your monthly fees are only $20. That's even cheaper than 24 hour fitness! They won me over. So I did it. I quit the gym.

And promptly joined another gym. Now I just need to find the willpower to actually go.

1 comment:

  1. I signed up for the free 2 week pass at Bally. I've been meaning to join a gym, and this one is close to work at least. But I hate going to the gym too. It's so much more fun to ride a bike down the street rather than in a gym! But that doesn't happen much when it's cold and rainy.

    Kate Perry
    (From Customer Service/Marketing)

    ReplyDelete